Wednesday, May 14, 2008

So How'd It Go?

I should have posted this sooner. I apologize.

The physical therapy (PT) went surprisingly easily, though I suspect it will get much more difficult VERY soon.

To make a long story short, they want me to start spending much more time with my feet out of the boots! This is great news! Of course, I still need to wear them at night and when moving around so that they are protected, but when sitting around the house, they come off! The main idea is that My feet will start getting recovered from being desensitized faster and just being out of the boots is a workout and help with flexibility and range of motion.

They also gave me more exercises to do at home and ideas for various techniques to help even more with many different facets of recovery.

They also talked about how we need to start looking into walkers! Wasn't expecting that one for quite some time!

The staff there seems to be a good group of folks that seem to really know what they are doing and take a genuine interest in their patients. It looks like we backed the right horse.

For a process that will take a long time, it seems we really got off to a jump start!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've got a bit of knowledge about walkers. Part of my weird things I know portion of my life. I've had to rent these for the USS Cushing reunion people and man, do they have some specific ideas about their walkers.

Here's what I've distilled from that experience.

1) Don't get one of those cheap crappy, Goodwill walkers with the tennis balls on the bottom. They're fine for short term but I think you're long term.

2) Get one of the walkers that has brake controls. It gives you more of a feeling of security when you are in an incline/decline situation. If you are unsteady at all you just clamp down on the brakes

3) Get one that you can sit on. The good ones have a nice seat that you can just spin around and, kerplop, have a seat in. Gives you a little break when you need it rather than having to search for a place to sit down.

4) Go for color. Don't just get a standard silver model. Go for a color. If you have to live with it for a while might as well have something that you can be smilin', stylin' and profilen' in.

Can't wait to see you guys!
Debbie