Monday, May 19, 2008

Another Milestone!

Today we went to physical therapy expecting more table exercising work and then moving on to the stationary cycle for the first time.

Well, that was mostly true.

So, sporting my new Crocs (I swore I'd NEVER wear them, but they were the only thing we found that would fit over all my swelling.), we were off. We got there and the therapist we had originally wanted to see was back. His name is Scott. We said hello and asked how his vacation went. All very civilized. But the chit-chat didn't last long.

First he started working my feet like the other guy did. Well, no, that isn't exactly accurate. The other guy used lotion and did more of a deep tissue foot massage. Scott didn't bother with any lotion and he acted more like he was taking a detailed inventory of every part of my feet. He was finding stuff to hurt that I didn't even know existed! He alternated between doing that and stretching my ankles, calves, and knees to the point that I thought I was gonna be the rubbery guy in the next Fantastic Four movie!

And while he was doing that and I was doing my best to keep from jumping through the ceiling, he decides that this was a great time to tell me that we were going to be standing up today! Well, now, this is the thing that I've been the most frightened of in this whole physical therapy hoo-hah and I immediately went into "HOLY CARP!!!" panic mode. This was NOT what we were told to expect today!

Next thing ya know, Scott is putting a safety belt around me and telling me how "we" are going to be standing up together. I'm trying to determine the best way to escape! But I stayed calm (really, I DID!!!) and like the good Marine I've always tried to be, I followed orders.

He grabbed the safety belt around my waist, braced my upper body and my right knee, told me exactly how to brace myself and shift my weight, then up we went while Julie braced my wheelchair and held her breath. Piece of cake except that my knees wanted to buckle. There was absolutely no pain whatsoever! We stood there for a good 45 seconds before I just knew my knees were going to completely give out, and he helped me back down into my wheelchair.

I STOOD UP!!! I REALLY STOOD UP!!! HOLY COW AND PRAISE THE LORD!!! I STOOD UP!!!

He let me rest for a bit, then we did it again. This time I was able to stay up a little longer. Then we did it again, but this time he had me shift my weight back and forth. OK, so this time it started to hurt. Then he had me pick up my feet and shuffle to my left to get to the exercise table! This really hurt and I didn't do real well, but I got there. Then after my exercise routine, he had me stand up and do the shuffle back to my wheelchair. It still hurt, but I was able to do a little better this time. Then it was off to the stationary bike and then we were done for the day.

Now, several hours later, things are starting to really hurt and swell. We'll wait and see how things are tomorrow, but everything should be just fine. These aches and pains are all from parts being used that haven't been used in a while and the only way out of it is through.

With help from The Lord and "J", I know I'll make it. It's just a matter of time now!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

DUDE! DUUUUUUUDE!

That's totally awesome!!!!!

I'm so happy I've just gotta tell ya that the God you now serve is huge! He is way bigger than a couple of broken feet. And I believe he is still in the business of making the blind man see, and making the lame to walk again. If it is His will, you and I will be bushwacking back to your 4x4 in no time! But ask Him! Ask, believing, without any doubting (James 1:6). I and others continue to pray for you and we know that You can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens you (Phil. 4:13).

Man, you don't have any idea how proud I am of you and how I think you are so strong and courageous! Through all of this, I have never once heard the 'Oh woe is me' thing come out of your mouth. Instead, I always hear 'One day at a time' and now the big phrase is 'Another Milestone!'

You and 'J' have been such great influences in my life this year. I have watched you both go through some very tough times and you both have the most incredible attitudes about each problem that comes your way. All I can say is WOW! I am better at handling my own set of problems after your influence. Heck, I'm better all around because of you two! Thanks!

This is incredible news! I'll see ya very soon. Love ya man!

Melonie said...

WOW! I'm speechless. (That's hard to do, you know.)

Mel :)

Unknown said...

>So, sporting my new Crocs

Two words… BWWAA hahahahahahah

>First he started working my feet like the other guy did. Well, no, that isn't exactly accurate. The other guy used lotion and did more of a deep tissue foot massage.

Ya gotta pay extra for the lotion and the pretty talk.

>There was absolutely no pain whatsoever!

HOLY BAT CRAP!! Congratulations and…HOLY BAT CRAP!!

This was the really hard part. Now you know exactly what’s going to happen and how it’s going to feel. The rest is a piece o cake!

> Then he had me pick up my feet and shuffle to my left to get to the exercise table! This really hurt and I didn't do real well, but I got there

Yeah well, you’ve been sitting on your butt for 5 months. Of course you’re not going to do really well but you DID IT!

Honestly, I read this to Mark and we hooted!

>Now, several hours later, things are starting to really hurt and swell.

It’s probably just the humiliation from wearing Crocs. Are they at least Marine Cammo Crocs? Next thing you know you’re going to be wearing Birkenstocks and hugging trees!

Anonymous said...

PRAISE THE LORD is right! There is no way you could have stood up like you did and continued with the other exercises with out HIS help. I'm so glad I decided to check out your blog before I headed off to bed. This is an amazing update. Keep it up and who knows, before you know it you'll be running a 5k,10k 1/2 marathon, etc etc with Melonie and I =o) What do say? I'll keep the prayers going!