Wednesday, December 3, 2008

We got good news, and not-so-good news.

Yesterday J called Doc D to see if they had an opening to get me in and get my staples out instead of waiting 'til Thursday since they were causing me quite a bit of discomfort. They did, so off we went.

In no time they got to removing the staples. I darn sure wish THIS "staples" had an "easy button!" Removing them was sheer and utter torture! It was far worse than removing the sutures from the original surgery and was definitely worse than this surgery. As they removed the staples they put some kind of adhesive strips across the incision to help keep everything in place until everything was healed a little better. They did that before also. If they don't come off on their own over the next week or so, I get to pull them off.

Anyway, after 10-15 minutes the removal pain went away and a little after that Doc D came in. He said everything was looking good, but he had another trick up his sleeve. Then he started showing us some 3D pictures of that foot. On it, he showed us a place in the heel area where some soft tissue has calcified into a rather prominent and pointy bone spur. He said if it starts causing problems he can go in and remove it. However, it is in a spot where there is a LOT going on. Nerves, muscle, ligaments, etc. So it's not just a simple go in and cut it off deal. He didn't elaborate cuz we aren't gonna even think about it unless that spot becomes an issue.

Then we asked about the left foot and he said he doesn't want to do ANYTHING with it unless absolutely necessary until all the problems with the right on are settled.

Anywho, I'm now back in compression socks and my brace (which we had t have adjusted again cuz my tendon is acting up a bit again) and getting back to walking again.

Overall, a lot of my pain issues with walking are gone or significantly reduced. There's still some discomfort in other areas, some minor residual pain from the latest surgery, and walking is still kinda of a pain, but it's all a little better and getting better by the day.

As for the other potential surgery, we just can't worry about it now. I start PT again next week and as that progresses we'll know more and deal with it then, if necessary. I guess I've lost about 4-6 weeks of progress on the tendon and some other stuff, but in no time I should be making some good gains and getting all that and more back.

Be well, everyone!

No comments: