Monday, June 9, 2008

PT Update



After a bit of a rough weekend, we headed into physical therapy wondering how it would go.

We weren't there long before Scott announced that today was the day we hit the treadmill!

I have to admit, having NEVER been on a treadmill in my life, I was more than a little apprehensive about getting on one in my current physical state. It turns out I had nothing to worry about.

After the usual manual work on my feet, Scott had me walk over to the treadmill. He showed me how to get on it, explained what we were going to do, then he told me to get on the thing. That first step was the hardest. Stepping up onto it was a bit painful. I stepped up with my left foot so for a moment all my weight was on my right foot, which wasn't too bad. The bad part was when I had to push up with my left foot. I had not done that before and it was a bit rough, but we got through it just fine.

When I got up there, Scott told me a couple more little things, then he hit the button and off I went at a blazing .1 MPH! I took to that machine like you would not believe! I stretched my stride, worked on my gait, worked on foot placement, and much more. It was quite a workout for my feet, knees, legs, and my entire body, especially as Scott worked me up to a mind-numbing .5 MPH! Far too soon it was over. I stepped down off of it without difficulty and walked over to the Total Gym.

I really liked the treadmill. I'm looking forward to using it again! I like the Total Gym, too. It makes me feel more like I'm really rebuilding my legs.

I wonder what Scott has in mind me for me next time!

2 comments:

Melonie said...

Just thought I'd sing a little song for you today...

"Did you ever know that you're my hero? Everything I would like to be-eeeee. I can fly higher than an eagle....You are the wind beneath my wings."

Hopefully this inspires you and doesn't want to make you throw up.

Melonie :)

Anonymous said...

Impressive slide show. Great to see and read of your amazing comeback...kinda like "The Come-back Kid". Is that a movie...song...don't know, just heard the phrase =o) Praise the Lord for your progress. Keep it up.

By the way, speaking of 'inspiration'; I had a minor surgery followed by injury to my right foot which has made my return to running a very slow process...just when I want to start fussing, God reminds me of you 'Howard' and all that you've had to endure. You and your family are very special. God Bless you Brother!