Thursday, November 6, 2008

Gettin' Ready for Round 2

Well, it's set.

I go back into Brack (Brackenridge Hospital where I got put back together before) for surgery on Monday, 11/17, at which time all the metal will be removed form my right foot. Hopefully, that will relieve all the pain that is slowing me down now.

We don't have a time yet, but the plan is that I'll go in there some time in the morning for prep. The procedure should not take long...under an hour. After that I am scheduled to stay for 23 hours of observation. The trick is pain management. They want me in Brack so I can have access to IV pain meds if I need them. However, if I can manage with regular pain meds, then I could go home Monday evening or Tuesday.

In any case, there will be some bleeding to deal with, but my right foot will be back in a splint for about 2 weeks, then it should be good to get back into PT and start using it again. Get it all strengthened back up and we'll decide whether to do the left foot. But Doc D says no way it'll get done this year.

Between now and then I've got a sleep study to do, I've got to see the pain folks to come up with a primary and backup pain management plan, and we have some pre-surgical stuff to do.

Yes, I am terrified of going back into Brack and just a little less so of getting carved up again. But I know this has to be done if I'm going to do any better and by hook or by crook I'm going to do better. I'm not going to hobble around like this the rest of my life if I still have reasonable options. Besides, I've got J, some great friends, supporting family, and the best surgeon available whom I trust completely.

So let's get it on, get it done, and get back on the road.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Audra said...

Great attitude, Howard! We wanna see you out and about again! We'll keep you in our thoughts on the 17th (prayers have been going up this whole time, so they'll continue!). Its the beginning of more progress. Let us know how it goes.

Audra/semik