Monday, February 9, 2009

It's been a while....

...and a lot has been happening.

First off, we have passed the 1 year anniversaries of the accident, my first surgery, and going home. We didn't do anything special for any of them, but they were a good time to pause and reflect a bit.

I am walking a lot more now. Not to say there still isn't a lot of discomfort and difficulties, but I'm dealing with it as best I can. That being said, there are moments when my ankles and stuff really don't hurt much at all (if any), even while walking. That's a welcome relief when it happens. My forefeet and soles are still always sore and I suppose will be for some time to come yet.

I am now down to 1 PT session a week to help spread them out and keep costs down in case insurance gives us fits again. We are still fighting with them over several sessions from last year.

To supplement the PT, we have joined the Baca Senior & Community Center and the Madsen Recreation Center. Both provide weight rooms, classes, Billiards rooms (actually helps my balance and range of motion), and other stuff. The Madsen center also boasts a pool, a walking track indoors around the basketball courts, and more. We try to get to either of those once a day, although we have not been very good about going on the weekends. We need to work on that.

I've also hit a new milestone. Last Friday I started coming into work on my own. No, I'm not driving yet. They have a shuttle service here called CARTS. I call them up and can get door-to-door service just about anywhere. It takes about 2 hours to get to work, but I can get there. It's nice to be back out amongst the folks again. Getting home is a pain, however. They want to pick me up around 1 and that doesn't leave much time for work. But a friend of ours works not too far from me and she has offered to bring me home each day. And, if needs be, there are 2 other folks that I work with that live near us that have offered to give me a lift if I need it.

But speaking of driving...

Dr. D has said I am clear to drive as far as he is concerned, but J want s something in writing, so I am scheduled to see an occupational therapist that will do an eval on me to see if, in their opinion, I am good to drive. If they don't think so, they have a program to help with that. In the mean time we may head to the Dell Diamond parking lot and let me try a little driving just to get a bit of the feel of it back and let me know where I stand.

I'm also trying to do a little more around the house. Airing up tire, feeding dogs, sweeping a bit, and other stuff. The more I use these feet, the sooner they are gonna feel better.

To cap it all off, I've stopped sleeping with my feet up. It hasn't seemed to make any difference on he swelling or how they feel in the morning and it is FAR more comfortable, so maybe I can sleep that way permanently now...or at least until the next surgery if it comes to that.

That's about it. It doesn't sound like much, but they have been some pretty big steps for me!

No comments: