Thursday, April 24, 2008

MEDICAL UPDATE 4/24/08

Things had been going pretty well, all things considered, except a few days ago the inside of my right heel started hurting and was VERY tender to the touch.

This morning "J" called my surgeon's office and they called back a little later telling us to get there later today.

We got to the office and they of course had me take off my boot and all the bandaging. Now, up to this point, there has been a small spot on the point of my heel that had been draining a little fluid ever since they took off the cast 2 months ago. It had steadily gotten better. (This was the place the bone poked through the skin when I busted it.) Ok. SO I take off the bandaging and the hole has gotten bigger and it had drained a LOT more than it has been. And this was just since last night!

So the doc comes in, twists my foot, pokes and prods, and declares that I have been invaded by some kind of bug and I've got a nice little infection going on. On the upside, it isn't uncommon and can be fought with antibiotics. On the downside, the little bug could easily attach itself to the metal in my foot and may mean the metal will have to be taken out...also, "J" has to do a little extra work to care for the wound and it MUST be done every day now.

So that's something that I get to dread for a while, but he also said taking the metal out isn't really that big of a deal...nothing like what I've already been through (I'm not sure I believe him). Also, I can continue with physical therapy and we can get me walking and stuff and deal with the metal later if needs be.

So we're back to the grind. We see the doc next week as scheduled for x-rays and evaluation. At that time he'll decide if I'm ready for the physical therapy I'll need to start the long road to being able to walk again.

With any luck there will be nothing unusual to report until then. Cross your fingers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fingers Crossed! Hang in the Brother!

Anonymous said...

First off... Eeeeuuuu! Nothing like seeping wounds to brighten up the day.

Sounds more like a major pain in the ass, well maybe 29 inches further south... than a horrific medical issue.

Don't let it get you down. This whole thing is going to be like a cha-cha. One step forward, one step back, two to the side, dip, spin, cha-cha-cha.

You've got a finish line to this whole thing. You're going to just have to fight all the way to get there. Time to "Marine Up" and kick some recovery ass!

But honestly... EEUuuuuuu!

Anonymous said...

Howard, It was nice to meet you at church this morning. You look as though you are feeling much better. We all continue to pray for you speedy recovery and look forward to seeing you again.
By the way, I'm Brenda the one who told you that I also wear a air cast, but had left it in the car. My boo boo is so minor compared to what you have gone through. Didn't Curtis ever tell you rocks are just to look at!
Hope to see you next Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I just read your 'How It Happened' and 'Medical Update'. I've heard it before, but never from you words. It was like being there watching it first hand.

We've been praying for you for quite sometime, thanks your dear friend-Curits...whom told us about you.

It was awesome to finally meet you and your wife in person.

Know that you will continually be in my prayers...hang in there...you'll be walking before you know it. =o)

God Bless,

Terri

Anonymous said...

(I'm new to commenting on blogs so if I've posted this twice, I apologize...)

Hi there! It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife yesterday. Curtis has kept us updated on your progress for the last few months, but it's nice to put faces with names.

We look forward to seeing you again, and will continue to keep you in our prayers.

May God bless you both!

Melonie :)